Unity Foundation Awards $265,000 in Community Grants
LA PORTE COUNTY, IN — Unity Foundation of La Porte County is supporting area nonprofit and community service agencies with its most recent round of ‘Power for Good’ Community Grants, totaling over $265,000 for 91 local projects throughout La Porte County. This surpasses past grant amounts made by Unity. These grants will help local organizations provide vital access to education, literacy, prevention and supportive services for local residents.
“Community organizations are doing incredible work throughout La Porte County, and Unity is proud to support their efforts.” said Shannon Walker, Unity Foundation Vice President.
This year, Unity Foundation increased the amount of funding available for projects from $3,000 to $5,000 grants. Eligible organizations could apply for up to 2 grants that help strengthen La Porte County in meaningful ways.
The applications were evaluated by a committee of dedicated members from throughout La Porte County. The grants are made possible due to the generosity of visionary donors who left unrestricted funds to Unity Foundation. Those community funds were established in the following names: AAUW La Porte, Backer Family Fund, Fred & Helen Brust, Petrea A. Clark, John P. & Anne H. Daley, Ernest & Mildred Delco, Pauline M. Dent, Randy & Jane Dorman, Charles T. & Pauline Dye, Mark E. Essling, Sanford Z. Friedman, David C. Gardner, Christopher B. Jollief, Kabelin Family, Ruth W. Pollingue, Purdue Federal Credit Union, Scott and Marianne Rice Family, Tom & Judy Ringo, Ruth C. Sabin, Phillip A. Sprague, Thomas C. & Blanch G. Stokes, Tower/Oktoberfest, Unity Foundation Power for Good Fund, John & Jean Vail, and Sandra L. Young.
Funding assistance for this year’s grants was also provided by the Bensz Family Advised Fund, Barry C. Dulyea Arts Fund for Children, Kay Franklin Commemorative Fund, Glick Foundation Fund, La Porte County Educational Advancement Fund, La Porte County Mental Health Fund, Christian J. Nickels Family Fund, Lorraine Gehrke Orlowski Fund, Polad Animal Care Endowment Fund, George H. and Madeline A. Smrt West Side Neighborhood Fund, and Charles Westcott Youth Fund.
2022 Grant Recipients and their programs/projects receiving funding are as follows:
- Advancing Christ’s Kingdom Ministries‐Michigan City
- American Red Cross ‐ Northwest Indiana Chapter
- Anam Cara Stables Inc
- Anthony Adams House
- Arts for Learning
- Arts in the Park
- Boys & Girls Club of La Porte County
- Catholic Charities
- Center Township Trustee‐La Porte County
- Citizens Concerned for the Homeless, Inc. (“CCH”)
- City of La Porte
- City of La Porte Mayor’s Council for Veteran’s Affairs
- Community Food Pantry of Galena, Hudson, Kankakee, Wills Townships, Inc.
- Dunebrook, Inc.
- Dunes Arts Foundation
- Family Advocates
- Fly High Youth Services Inc.
- Girl Scouts of Northern Indiana‐Michiana
- Goodwill Industries of Michiana, Inc.
- HealthLinc – Community Health Center
- Healthy Communities of La Porte County
- Helping Our People Excel
- Hoosiers Feeding the Hungry
- Independent Cat Society
- Interfaith Community PADS
- Friendship Botanic Gardens
- Intrepid Phoenix
- Lubeznik Center for the Arts
- Junior Achievement of Northern Indiana
- La Porte County Meals on Wheels
- La Porte County Symphony Orchestra
- La Porte Little Theatre Club
- La Porte County Family YMCA
- LaPorte County Habitat for Humanity
- LaPorte County Drug Free Partnership
- La Porte High School
- La Porte Lake Association
- La Porte Salvation Army
- Leadership La Porte County, Inc.
- LETSGO City
- Michigan City Area Schools
- Michigan City Fire Department
- Michigan City First United Methodist Church
- Michigan City High School
- Michigan City Holiday Meals
- Michigan City Soul Steppers Drill Team
- New Prairie Education Foundation
- New Prairie High School Robotics
- Open Door Community Alliance
- READ La Porte County
- REAL Services
- Reins of Life
- Ronald McDonald House Charities ® of Michiana
- Sacred Heart Food Pantry at St. Mary
- Service League of Michigan City
- Shirley Heinze Land Trust
- The Social and Learning Institute
- South Central Jr. Sr. High School
- Stepping Stone Shelter for Women, Inc.
- Supplemental United Food Pantry (Hanna)
- The Community Reserve
- The Pax Center
- Trinity Episcopal Church
- United Way of La Porte County
- Washington Park Zoo
- Westville Police Department
- Worthy Women Recovery Home
- Yana Service Club Inc.
- Youth Service Bureau of La Porte County
Corporate sponsors help Unity Foundation support and manage many community projects. 2022 sponsors are as follows: Horizon Bank, NIPSCO, Northern Indiana Education Foundation, Mason Investment Advisory Services, 1st Source Bank, Edward Jones, Harbour Trust Investment Management Company, Kabelin Ace Hardware, Mason Investment Advisory Services, Inc., Newby Lewis Kaminski & Jones, LLP, Rice Farms, Sanlo, Sera Group, Tech Credit Union, Applegate & Company CPA’s, Centier Bank, Estep Burkey Simmons, LLC, Purdue Federal Credit Union, Fenker’s Furniture, Mayor Duane Parry and the City of Michigan City. Unity would also like to thank the La Porte County community and all donors for their ongoing support and celebration of the Power of Community in La Porte County.