Frequently Asked Questions
The following are common questions regarding the Unity Foundation scholarship process. If you have a question that is not answered on this page, we encourage you to contact us.
Why is there a general scholarship application?
1) The general application was designed to allow students to apply for several different scholarships through one application.
2) The general application evaluates the responses provided and matches applicants with the scholarships for which they may be eligible.
3) The general application saves students time by requiring only one application to be completed for most Unity Foundation scholarships.
4) Additional “unique” scholarship and award applications are also available on our website.
What information is required on the general application?
2) High School Information
3) College/University Information
4) Household Information
5) Financial Information
6) Athletics, Extracurricular Activities, Community Service, Employment History
7) Reflective Questions
8) Certification and Submission
Some scholarships also require:
1) Letters of Recommendation
2) Personal References
3) Additional Reflective Questions
4) Scholarship-Specific Eligibility Questions
Am I eligible to apply?
*The following people are not eligible for scholarships administered by Unity Foundation of La Porte County: officers, employees and members of a scholarship committee of Unity Foundation and their immediate families.
I’m a 21st Century Scholar. Am I eligible to apply for any Unity Foundation scholarships?
I am not a 4.0 GPA student. Are there scholarships available for me through Unity Foundation?
I am not a high school senior and I am already enrolled in college. Are there scholarships available for me through Unity Foundation?
I am pursuing a post-secondary certificate or other degree instead of a traditional four-year bachelor degree. Am I eligible to apply?
If I graduated high school at mid-term, am I still eligible for scholarships?
Can I receive more than one scholarship?
How much does it cost to apply?
What are the scholarship amounts?
What kinds of costs can my scholarship cover?
Is my scholarship renewable?
How are recipients selected?
When will I be notified?
If I receive a scholarship, how is the money disbursed?
Unity Foundation policies require scholarship checks to be sent directly to the college or university for most scholarships.
Upon notification of award, recipients will be required to provide verification of their college/university enrollment by stated deadline. Award checks will be processed and distributed July 30th. For most awards equaling or greater than $500, the college/university is requested to apply 50% to fall semester and 50% to spring semester. If you will be a mid-year graduate, exceptions may be made for the entire award to be applied to fall semester.
The Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship is paid in multiple disbursements and requires recipients to submit specific documentation before awards can be released. Recipients will receive information regarding their responsibilities and how the award will be disbursed.
Who should I contact if I have questions about a scholarship or the application?
If you are a current high school student, first contact your guidance counselor or the scholarship coordinator at your school. If you are not a current high school student, or if the guidance office is unable to answer your question, please contact us, at 219-879-0327 or email@example.com.